Now that the cold weather is here, check out this tasty, healthy turmeric tea also known as golden milk or a turmeric latte.
We hear a lot about turmeric these days and there are lots of new turmeric supplements on the market. Did you know that there are over 10,000 peer-reviewed studies on the benefits of turmeric? This makes it one of the most studied medicinal herbs out there and it is perfectly safe unless taken in extreme quantities.
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which in addition to its anti-cancer effect has been found to be anti-inflammatory and help with pain management, therefore, making it great also for anyone with arthritis.
The trick with this delicious drink is the delicate balance between turmeric, the ginger – think less, not more! I love ginger but find in this recipe, you just want a hint of a taste of it otherwise it is too much. The honey adds sweetness while the pinch of cayenne pepper (if using) spices it up. Important to note that the black pepper contains an ingredient called piperline which is necessary to activate the curcumin.
- 2 mugs of milk of choice (almond, coconut and dairy all work in this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup (optional to taste)
- Pinch of black pepper (contains piperline which increases absorption of the tumeric)
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Blend all ingredients together using a spoon to stir or frother/hand blender until smooth.
- Heat gently for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Add extra cinnamon on the top as you wish & enjoy!